Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Traditional Chinese Wedding Tea Ceremony





Traditional Chinese Wedding Tea Ceremony - a precious moment honouring our elders
Photo: Traditional Chinese Wedding Tea Ceremony - a precious moment honouring our elders

My niece delighted us by choosing a Traditional Chinese Wedding Ceremony. Katie and Mathew even knelt in front of her relatives. When It came to Joseph, Rose reminded us that those of us who are younger than Charles, her Dad should refrain from letting them kneel before us. We sat on the chair. In the past, we even had to stand.

The Australians were very curious about these. Katie is half Chinese and half Australian and her husband is Australian. After serving the tea, the elders gave them an Ang Pow aka Hong Bao , a love gift, usually in cash and gold jewellery. 

I was very honoured that Katie chose me to help her pour the special auspicious sweet tea. When it was my turn to be serve, Elley took over my job.



2 comments:

Senna said...

Hello.

thank you for your comment. I see you have a lot of wonderful flower photographs and not only these :).
I want also answer your question - The flower/blossom is rhubarb. Usually I cut the blossom of rhubarb, otherwise the will be acrid ... and this year I missed it. So I made this pictures :)!

reagrds Senna

Unknown said...

very interesting, good to keep old tradition