Sunday, August 14, 2011

Macro flowers: Wild fennel ???



Macro Flower Saturday
Macro Flower Saturday Macro Flower Saturday ">Macro Flower Saturday

http://blueberrycraftandhobbytime.blogspot.com/p/join-my-photo-challenge-flowers-on.html 






These looks like wild fennel. Can anyone confirm?

When I was a student, staying in a student flat, there was a big stump of this plant near the road. People came to harvest both the young leaves and the swollen, bulb-like stem base stump. They tell me that it is wild fennel. I am not adventurous in my food, so I never harvested them myself.

Now, cooking shows show chefs using it, and it cost a lot in the supermarket.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

it think it might be wild fennel,
have a lovely day!!

Maia said...

It looks like fennel but there are very many species in this family, all looking alike. Some of the are highly poisonous, it's a good idea not to harvest them.
Nice shots.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The first picture looks Queen Anne's Lace, or wild carrot, but the second picture I don't know...

The JR said...

Me neither, I'm scared I'd get a trip to the hospital.

Carletta said...

At first I thought the top one looked like Queen Anne's Lace as well.
I see Maia's comment about some fennel being poisonous - scary.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

This is a big plant, it is taller than me. These two photos show the same plant. I don't take this plant, so i didn't try to see if they are edible. But fennels are very popular these days with Chefs. i watch them on TV.