Monday, April 6, 2015

Amaranth ?????








I went to the historic ruins of timber/flour and paper mill at Riverhead. I saw this plant that looks like a giant amaranth. There were giant seeds. I wonder if this is the plant where the seeds are used as a pseudo grain, and not my mum's tiny plant.




http://www.juliasedibleweeds.com/recipes/all-about-amaranth/
 http://www.juliasedibleweeds.com/recipes/all-about-amaranth/

In my Mum's garden, after she weeded the plot, after a few days , these weeds will sprout and she would cook it. Mum called them Horse shit spinach aka MA SEE HIN.

I cooked some and my kids wondered why I am cooking weeds.They pestered me to tell them the name of this vege.  Amaranth leaves are loaded with nutrition. Mum says it is packed with iron.

When ever I see this weed, I think of the last time I gardened with Mum in Australia.


Now, the seeds are used as a grain. Compared to other grains amaranth seeds (below) have a much higher content of the minerals calcium, magnesium, iron and the amino acid lysine. Amaranth seeds are also high in potassium, zinc, Vitamin B and E and protein.amaranth seed Amaranth leaves are loaded with nutrition.






























No comments: