Friday, April 10, 2015

Verbena bonariensis


 

above: saw these wild flowers at the Waterview Tunnel Junction.  They used to grow wild in my garden, taking over my vegetables.






I didn't grow them, they grew by themselves in my pots. The leaves and stems are "cutty cutty." On the ground, they grow taller than an adult.



Don't you think these are beauties? The water engineer disagrees, and want to get rid of my wild flowers. The mothers of these beauties reside in a patch of untended land next to my old house. When they are in bloom, they are so beautiful. One year, I had pots of tomatoes and chillis plants in my garden. The mothers sent seeds over, knowing I had been appreciating them. They grew in my pots taking over my cultivated tomatoes and chillis.  I took care of them, when blooming, the purple flowers are so beautiful. But now, I have been spending too much time on the computer, the flowers dry up and I still think they are beautiful and can be used as dry flowers.

One man's meat is another's poison.


Verbena bonariensis is a tall and slender-stemmed perennial. It can grow to 6 ft (120 cm) tall and can spread to 3 ft (90 cm) wide. At maturity, it will develop a woody base. Fragrant lavender to rose-purple flowers are in tight clusters located on terminal and axillary stems, blooming from mid-summer until fall frost. The stem is square with very long internodes. Leaves are ovate to ovate-lanceolate with a toothed margin and grow up to 4 in (10 cm) long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbena_bonariensis


http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.co.nz/

1 comment:

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

We have these growing by the side of creeks and rivers here in Melbourne, Ann. They can look stunning, especially when in full bloom. As you say some of these wildflowers annoy some people as they view them as "weeds". I like them.
Many thanks for participating in Floral Friday Fotos, I look forward to your contribution in this week's edition!