Saturday, September 11, 2010

Macroflowers: North Borneo Orchids.





This is the flower I joined this meme. My Dad's favourite flower. It gives me warm fuzzy feeling every time I see this flower. Dad used to grow this from little saplings from North Borneo. They didn't bloom as frequently as the hybrids grown these days. The beauty of this plant is the waiting is paid off. The blooms remain beautiful for three months on the plant.

These flowers are grown in the Winter gardens, green house at the Auckland Domain.

Addition:
Maia,

As I look carefully, you are right. The leaves are longish oval. I think I was so engrossed with the beauty of the flower I didn't think of photographing the whole plant.

The spray of flowers shoot up about 18 inches. So the background leaves are most likely to be from another plant.

My Sister Margaret reminds us siblings of how carefully Mom and Dad use a toothbrush and soapy water and carefully removing the aphids. Seeing them together doing it on one plant now warms our heart. It was truly a symbol of their love for each other.

Mom and Dad were not child hood sweet hearts. They did not even know each other when they married. They had met only once and were chaperoned. It was during World War 2. Their parents had to get them married, so Mom won't be taken by the Japanese to be their sex slave, and Dad to be conscripted to their army.

http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2009/05/mothers-day-tribute-to-my-mum.html

On the day of my oldest sister Rose's wedding, he cut it and I wrote to her children and their spouses today. This was the beautiful orchids that Grand Pa cut to make your mum's wedding bouquet. Grandma said she was surprised that he did it. His heart probably hurt as he cut it. It even hurt her heart though she wasn't so attached to it.

l
I have joined this meme for a while now, and I am loving it. First I love flowers. Second, the badge for this meme is the North Borneo Orchid.

Join Macro Flowers Saturday, a photo meme for macro photos and close-ups of flowers, garden flowers, wildflowers, blossoms, flowers with insects and butterflies (no insects without flowers), flowers with raindrops and whatever beautiful plants, plant seeds or berries you have, in close-up.

First time visitors, please read the rules. They are simple but I do ask that you, please, use a MFS badge or link back to MFS in some way. Thank you.

Macro Flower Saturday

15 comments:

Maia T said...

What a gorgeous old and big phalaenopsis plant.
The leaves of this one are quite different from what I have (mine has oval leaves), though the blooms look the same.
Your macro is amazing, gorgeous flowers.

Ruth said...

These are gorgeous! They exactly look the same with the one on the badge. White flowers are always gorgeous. Beautiful macro shots.

Cherry said...

simply beautiful!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

I don't know much about orchids, but these are beautiful.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is truly beautiful, indeed. And pure looking, white. I have been to two orchid shows, yet did not know that the blooms last three months!

Joanne Olivieri said...

These are so sweet and just have the pure beauty to them. Your photos are wonderful.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Maia,

As I look carefully, you are right. The leaves are longish oval. I think I was so engrossed with the beauty of the flower I didn't think of photographing the whole plant.

The spray of flowers shoot up about 18 inches. So the background leaves are most likely to be from another plant.

My Sister Margaret reminds us siblings of how carefully Mom and Dad use a toothbrush and soapy water and carefully removing the aphids. Seeing them together doing it on one plant now warms our heart. It was truly a symbol of their love for each other.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

On the day of my oldest sister Rose's wedding, he cut it and I wrote to her children and their spouses today. This was the beautiful orchids that Grand Pa cut to make your mum's wedding bouquet. Grandma said she was surprised that he did it. His heart probably hurt as he cut it. It even hurt her heart though she wasn't so attached to it.

On the same token my sister Grace made that beautiful cake for Raymond.

Jama said...

The orchids are so lovely. There's a lot of hybrid orchids that I've already given up trying to remember their names!

Maia T said...

Thank you Ann for the explain and for sharing this beautiful story about your parents. Those were hard times but life rewarded them with beautiful children and good understanding.

It probably hurt to cut it but in the same time it was the proof of his love for his children.

About the photo; I just admired this beautiful, healthy plant, with so many roots. I would like my orchids to be so.
By the way, Ann, can you tell me how long orchids live if they are well cared for?
Thanks again!

eden said...

Gorgeous blooms. Great capture.

Carver said...

The orchids are so beautiful and an interesting post about your parents too.

The JR said...

So your parents marriage was very strange too (if you saw the post of my parents recently).

I hope they grew to luv each other.

The JR said...

Hey Ann:

Here is the link:

http://msredneck.blogspot.com/2010/08/almost-4-yearsand-family-story.html

The JR said...

Your comments show up as no reply, that's why I keep coming back to this post to answer your questions.

No, my mother never had any contact with her family again.

She never went back to Japan either.

Funny thing, is most people think I'm Indian as in Native American Indian. The Choctaw Indian Tribe is from Mississippi. And most people just make assume that I'm part Indian......