Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weekend Bridge: Auckland Harbour Bridge




http://bayphoto.blogspot.com/



The bridge has a length of 1,020 m (3,348 ft), with a main span of 243.8 m, rising 43.27 m above high water allowing ships access to the deepwater wharf. It has undergone transformation with two-lane box girder clip-on sections were added to each side in 1969, ten years after it was built. It doubled the number of lanes to eight. The sections were manufactured by Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries of Japan. People fondly called the new lanes as 'Nippon clip-ons'.

The Moveable Lane Barrier - the first ever permanent lane barrier system on a major bridge anywhere in the world - was introduced to manage traffic flows in a 'tidal' morning and evening peak system.

In the morning, the traffic is busy coming into the city. After work, the direction is reversed. In 1990, this giant machine was installed to move these heavy block dividers.There were "elephant houses" or giant sheds at the end of the bridge. This daily changing of lanes have intriqued tourist.

I am very passionate about this bridge because my second daughter bungied off it twice, and I walked under it to the mid point to watch her jump. It was quite frightening as the wind swayed the bridge and was howling loudly.

7 comments:

Francisca said...

They let people bungee off this bridge!?! Yeah, I could imagine watching your daughter do that would make your heart skip a beat.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

I remember going over this bridge when I went to the BOI. It reminds me of Sydney Harbour Bridge. I was on the Desert Road heading south. It rained the whole way and was very misty. And it was my birthday!☺

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is fascinating about the clip on lanes, reminds me of Lego blocks! and moveable barriers, like lane diveders? Oh, did you try to talk your daughter out of this?? Mommy must have been terrified!!

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» got your message that you had had trouble with Linky - but he sees that your post is linked now.

There is NO WAY «Louis» (who has acrophobia) would bungie off a bridge!

Unknown said...

oh wow, i envy your daughter!:p
captivating post of this interesting bridge.

The JR said...

You daughter is braver than I.

They could throw my wet, limp body over.....

Lesley said...

watching the changing of the lanes would have me watching as well!. the bungee jumping - not at all.