Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New Zealand Flowering Cherry Tree


This photo was taken when there were still a lot of leaves, the day day I went to photograph the Sakura. I do have a photo when it is fully covered with pink flowers.



This New Zealand Flowering Cherry tree doesn't give me edible cherries. But it is an eye candy in more ways than one.

In September, it is all flowers, admittedly not as beautiful as the Japanese Sakura. Throughout the year, sparrows, silver eyes and other native birds sit on it to wait for me to feed with them with rice, noodles and bread.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have such a pretty tree and a bonus to have the birds attracted to it. It is always so peaceful watching the birds.

Ginny Hartzler said...

How lovely and delicate! So this is your tree? I wish we had one like this. We had a huge Maple Tree in the front yard, but it got old and sick and we had to cut it down. I loved that tree as much as the house.

Karen said...

This looks like the tree that shades my son's grave at the cemetery. It is lovely.

The JR said...

I had a flowering cherry, but it didn't like the hot Mississippi heat and didn't make it.

Very sweet that the birds trust you so much to wait on treats.