Friday, August 27, 2010

Macro flowers: Daffodil









These daffodils grow every where in Auckland.
August is Daffodil month in New Zealand. August 27th is the 20th anniversary of Daffodil day. I tried to teach my ESOL students the concept of Cancer awareness.

Nowdays Daffodil Day is the Cancer Society's annual flagship event and one of the most important fundraising and awareness campaigns in the country. As well as providing an opportunity to raise awareness of cancer in New Zealand, Daffodil Day is a major funding source for the Cancer Society. We are proud to be regarded as one of the country's most trusted charities and this is reflected in our fundraising practices.

The daffodil is one of the first flowers of spring, whose bright yellow blooms remind us of the joys the new season will bring. It represents the hope there is for the 1 in 3 New Zealanders affected by cancer.

The donations we receive go towards vital scientific research into the causes and treatment of all types of cancer, as well as providing a wide range of support services, information, health promotion and education programmes to reduce cancer risk, awareness campaigns and programmes for people affected by cancer.

http://ann-mythoughtsandphotos.blogspot.com/2010/08/thursday-theme-song-daffodil-song.html Go to my other site to listen to The Daffodil song, a British artist devoted to cancer.
Thank you Maia.

I am joining this meme for the first time. First I love flowers. Second, the badge for this meme is the North Borneo Orchid. My Dad's favourite flower. It gives me warm fuzzy feeling every time I see this flower.

Join Macro Flowers Saturday, a photo meme for macro photos and close-ups of flowers, garden flowers, wildflowers, blossoms, flowers with insects and butterflies (no insects without flowers), flowers with raindrops and whatever beautiful plants, plant seeds or berries you have, in close-up.

First time visitors, please read the rules. They are simple but I do ask that you, please, use a MFS badge or link back to MFS in some way. Thank you.

Macro Flower Saturday

12 comments:

Maia T said...

Daffodils are very beautiful and it's the symbol of a great cause for you.
Your flower photos are gorgeous.

Kim, USA said...

Oh my I missed daffodils. Spring is coming on your way.
Photo Hunt-Framed

Joanne Olivieri said...

Daffodils are always so pretty and you've captured their glorious essence in this photo. What a wonderful cause as well.

Flower Town said...

They are so beautiful, I love the color combination and that yellow center really popping out.

fini said...

I never have daffodils in my garden, thanks for sharing the photos and for a good cause as well :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

Lovely pictures of the different kinds. I enjoyed reading about the Cancer project on your blog earlier. We also call then jonquils, there is a very slight difference, but notillyinso to the naked eye very much.

Slugyard said...

Here, summer is winding down and we are far away from the sight of daffodils again. I'll enjoy yours.

Anonymous said...

Pretty daffs, I like the different colors of each!

Enjoy your weekend

Singapoare Plants Lover said...

Beautiful daffodils flowers! You take a great macro shot. Have you grow it at home too, I wish I could...

Kaori said...

I love daffodils! Gorgeous photos, Ann :D

The JR said...

I luv how daffodil's announce the arrival of Spring!

Carver said...

Beautiful flowers. Where I live the daffodils are the first to emerge in spring but our spring begins in March.