Saturday, August 7, 2010

Macro flowers: Snowdrops/snowflakes






Sbowflakes has the green dot.
Galanthus (Snowdrop; Greek gála "milk", ánthos "flower") is a small genus of about 20 species of bulbous herbaceous plants in the Amaryllis family. Most flower in winter, before the vernal equinox (21 March in the Northern Hemisphere), but certain species flower in early spring and late autumn.

I did some research, my flower looks like Lily of the valley except my plant has thin blades of grass.
http://www.donnaheber.com/2012/05/lily-of-valley.html fellow blogger posted hers. Some say in New Zealand people call this snowdrops when it is in fact Snowflakes, leucojums which bloom in Spring. Whatever it is, it is beautiful and I have claimed it to be mine.

My clump of Snowdrops bloom this week. It is a very resilient plant as my mower mows over it every time he mows the lawn. Sometimes if I am home when he comes, I tell him ,"Please No." He flashes his white teeth, and the next time, he mows over it again.

When I moved house, I tried to dig up the bulbs, they were buried deep in the ground. I didn't have a spade. I managed to get a few, and put it in pots and forgot about it. I will have to wait until spring to see if they grew.

I like Snowdrops. My Chinese name is Pure Snow. My sis E is Pure Ice. An Uncle told me that my Dad had a problem in his head for naming us as such. We will be like ice and snow in our personality. Stone cold and we won't have any friends. Luckily, he was wrong. I have lots of friends everywhere I go. In fact, when I was leaving Singapore, I was asked if I would miss it. I said," No, but I would miss my friends."
Thank you Maia.

First I love flowers. Second, the badge for this meme is the North Borneo Orchid. My Dad's favourite flower. It gives me warm fuzzy feeling every time I see this flower.

Join Macro Flowers Saturday, a photo meme for macro photos and close-ups of flowers, garden flowers, wildflowers, blossoms, flowers with insects and butterflies (no insects without flowers), flowers with raindrops and whatever beautiful plants, plant seeds or berries you have, in close-up.

First time visitors, please read the rules. They are simple but I do ask that you, please, use a MFS badge or link back to MFS in some way. Thank you.

Macro Flower Saturday

n

6 comments:

Singapoare Plants Lover said...

How beautiful the flowers!

Anonymous said...

Those are the sweetest flowers! That is so funny that the mower keeps cutting them down despite what you say!

Thomas Lee/Lee Lip Pang said...

Nice flower shots,take in NZ?

The JR said...

Those remind me of the lily of the valley flowers I have in my yard. Mine bloom in spring.

Dani said...

lovely photos. Snow flowers for me are the snowflakes. But I also LOVE the snowdrops.

Donna Heber said...

Hi Ann,

I saw your comment and yes your snowdrops do look similar to my lily of the valley. Should beautiful photos you have shared. Thank you for stopping to visit me.