Monday, August 2, 2010

Ruby This herb is grown in Singapore and Malaysia. Because off its burgundy red color which looks like blood, the Chinese practitioners believe that it is good to detoxify our body, cleanse our blood, relieve high blood sugar and cholesterol. My friend told me and recommended that I try it. As I am open to anything that could be good, I went to the local wet market and bought a couple of bundles and brewed it with Chinese sugar dates. I was the only one in the family daring enough to drink it. I asked my Sister Rose, and my sis in law. They both plant them this herb in their garden. The native Malaysians call it DAUN KURMA MERAH and they eat them as a vegetable as well as using it as a herb.


This red plant I saw at the Auckland Domain looks like the medicinal plant HUNG TIEN WOO. This herb is grown in Singapore and Malaysia. Because off its burgundy red color which looks like blood, the Chinese practitioners believe that it is good to detoxify our body, cleanse our blood, relieve high blood sugar and cholesterol.

My friend told me and recommended that I try it. As I am open to anything that could be good, I went to the local wet market and bought a couple of bundles and brewed it with Chinese sugar dates. I was the only one in the family daring enough to drink it.

I asked my Sister Rose, and my sis in law. They both plant them this herb in their garden.
The native Malaysians call it DAUN KURMA MERAH and they eat them as a vegetable as well as using it as a herb.

***Please note: I said It LOOKS like, I am not 100 % sure this plant I photographed in New Zealand is the same plant I bought in Singapore.****

http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com

13 comments:

LifeRamblings said...

I didn't know much about this plant until i read your post. thanks for the enlightenment.

Hootin Anni said...

Detoxifying would truly be a joy as in 'joyweed'. Great post and very informative.

LOOTERS is my Ruby Tuesday today. Do stop by for a visit if you can. Have a great day.

eden said...

This is an interesting plant. I have seen this plant here and love to plant one in my garden. I love its colour. Thank you for sharing the information

Francisca said...

Oh Anne... I like my veggies GREEN thank you... I drink a lot of LIVE green veg with fruit smoothies, as in every day. These red plants don't look quite as appetizing, so sorry. Of course the Chinese will say it is good... isn't everything RED good? :-D My honey is Chinese-born and I get to drink a lot of herbal soups and teas, all good for my health, he says. The thing is, I am healthy already! Nonetheless, interesting post for the theme, Anne.

Kim, USA said...

This looks very familiar to me. It seems I see this in the Philippines too. I do believe that many plants are good in our body it's up to us to try and find it. I am thankful that my husband is up to alternative medicine rather than prescribed medicine. We are taking Reishi that comes from Malaysia in the form of capsules already. And right now we have kombucha tea my hubby is the one fermenting it. When I am with Americans I am proud to tell them about our Oriental way of healing our sicknesses or illnesses which for them is a bit primitive. But now since many of those ways are coming here in the US they are a bit open to it but mostly they rely on their prescribe medicine most of the time. ^_^

Chawanmushi said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.
Came here to check out the red plant.
It does look like the Sessile Joyweed (Alternanthera sessilis).

reg said...

I never heard of this plant. It sounds like we should get more education on it.

The JR said...

I kind of chicken out in harvesting my own medicinal plants.

Lola said...

Lovely instance of red here - and so interesting too. Great infotainment!

Happy Ruby Tuesday,

LOLA:)

btw Mine this week is HERE. Hope you can stop by.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, I love this, I've learned something new today. But you didn't tell us how it tasted!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Whether the plant is beneficial or not, it certainly looks fascinating!

Xiutla Dancers

ChrisJ said...

I like seeing red leaves in a garden, though I am not good with gardens. I love to visit them and photograph them, but don't know enough to grow them successfully. Thank yoyu for visiting my blog.

Carletta said...

Nice informative post Ann!
It looks like it would add nice color in the garden.

Thanks for your ruby visit. Hope you're having a great week.