Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chicken Pox



Callistemon citrinus - Crimson Bottlebrush founf both in Australia ans New Zealand. The flower spikes of bottlebrushes form in spring and summer and are made up of a number of individual flowers. The pollen of the flower forms on the tip of a long coloured stalk called a filament. It is these filaments which give the flower spike its colour and distinctive 'bottlebrush' shape. The filaments are usually yellow or red, sometimes the pollen also adds a bright yellow flush to the flower spikes.
Each flower produces a small woody fruit containing hundreds of tiny seeds. These fruits form in clusters along the stem, and are usually held on the plant for many years.




My nephews and niece in Australia have chicken pox and are off school. Thomas was vaccinated and still is affected. Helen is very creative and has a lot of things to keep them occupied. My other niece S says she had it twice.

When chicken pox was spreading in Singapore, my son S said he would stop eating chicken, in that way, he won't catch the disease.

My memories go back to when we had to shorten our travels when D was 9, and we found she had pox during her birthday party.

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

So sorry they have this! How could that happen if they were vaccinated? And what is that red flower and the strange little thingys? They almost look like pox marks!!

The JR said...

I have bottle brush bushes, the flower seems to be the same. But, the pods are different.

Hope everyone gets well soon. My mom said I had it, but I don't remember.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I always thought we get it once when we were young and don't get it again.

However, some people do get it again, and also adults get it. I was surprised a very good friend got it as an adult, and her husband got it too at the same time. In fact her whole family got it.