Friday, October 8, 2010

Macro flowers: Snapdragon

Antirrhinum is a genus of plants commonly known as snapdragons from the flowers' fancied resemblance to the face of a dragon that opens and closes its mouth when laterally squeezed (thus the 'snap').

I went to the Auckland Domain and "snapped" these flowers at the Winter Garden Green House.

As I saw the beautiful flowers, I remember my Grand Dad used to jokingly tell us about the elderly neighbour who was forever trimming his hedge and burning the cuttings, even in the hot tropical sun. Grand Dad said, when the old man dies, if you make a little fire, he will come back to life."

I think to myself, after I die, if you bring my body to this place. I will come back to life.

It really is one of the most beautiful and tranquil place on earth. I wish you can be there with me. I shall be posting more photos each week for you.








I have joined this meme for a while now, and I am loving it. First I love flowers. Second, the badge for this meme is the North Borneo Orchid.

Join Macro Flowers Saturday, a photo meme for macro photos and close-ups of flowers, garden flowers, wildflowers, blossoms, flowers with insects and butterflies (no insects without flowers), flowers with raindrops and whatever beautiful plants, plant seeds or berries you have, in close-up.

First time visitors, please read the rules. They are simple but I do ask that you, please, use a MFS badge or link back to MFS in some way. Thank you.

Macro Flower Saturday

18 comments:

The JR said...

Snapdragon's are one of my childhood favorites. I remember the old lady who we use to think of as "grandma" grew them.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, YES, I love snapdragons and have not seen ANY all summer for some resaon! I have been wanting to take pictures, but none...yours are WONDERFUL!! So many different colors! And I never knew why they are called by this name, now I know!! I love your touching story, this post has it all. Beauty, information, and a lovely poignant story!

Joanne Olivieri said...

I like your words, about coming back to life in this place :) Snapdragons are very hardy and just so pretty. There were my Mom's favorite flower so seeing these photos have brought back many wonderful memories to me. Thank you.

Kelli said...

i loved these when I was a child. They are still lovely of course but not as entertaining LOL

Roan said...

My grandmother grew snapdragons in her garden. You gave me a nice memory. Beautiful shots!

Jama said...

They are so lovely!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

What a profusion of color. They are all gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your photos and your story. Have a nice weekend.

Linnea said...

So many colorful snapdragons all in one place! How lucky. They're delicious!

Maia T said...

These photos are gorgeous Ann, I've never seen such tall snapdragon flowers and so many beautiful colors.
Thanks for sharing these beauties on Macro Flowers Saturday!

NatureFootstep said...

they are soo rich in flowers. And the variety .... beautiful. :)

Carol said...

I love snapdragons and these are absolutely beautiful! I would love to visit this place with you too.

Judy said...

These snapdragons are so tall and happy! I have never seen the lavender ones, in the first shot. I love that colour!!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Jama,

Re: the snapdragon, these are taller than me, when I was young, I had the miniature purple colour ones. Do you remember? The shape is the same.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Beautiful colours in the snapdragons.

Nathalie said...

The flowers are oh so lovely!

If you have time, do drop by:

Yellow Blooms

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I think of you a lot as well! Ellen

Sara Chapman said...

Such beautiful snaps. You might enjoy my post of some pink snaps here:

http://www.artsquadgraphics.com/blog/2010/10/10/snapdragon-close-up/

I wish I could grow such full ones like you have "snapped."

Unknown said...

I used to have snap dragons but they were no where as full. These are beautiful. I believe a bit of us lives on in the things/people we love.