Friday, October 22, 2010

weekend bridge: Waitomo Caves





http://bayphoto.blogspot.com/

Behind the group of black water rafters is a tiny bridge. The stream of rushing water comes from the subterranean caves and emerges from a tiny hole. At this time last year, I went to our Waitomo caves.

I didn't join the Black water rafters this time. Ten years ago, I went with my twelve year old daughter. It was she who wanted to do it, and she was too small( physically) to go by her self with the others. So poor mum had it go. It was an adventure of a life time. Three hours in the caves and submerged in freezing water.

During the trip, I was inspired by an elderly gentleman from Israel. He was in his seventies, his wife in her fifties. She told me that all his life he wanted to do black water rafting in New Zealand. So she went along with him.

When we emerged from the cave, he said," Now, I can die."

13 comments:

Unknown said...

amazing adventure! caves are fascinating places. i would like to try black water rafting, too. but i hope not in my 70's.:p

Ebie said...

I have yet to experience rafting. The caves are amazingly beautiful!

Cezar and Léia said...

Fascinating adventure! Bravo! :)
Léia

cieldequimper said...

Fantastic!


To answer your question: the bridge was most likely built in the 16th or 17th century, so no Romans.

joo said...

Such an interesting post and lovely photos!
Happy Sunday!

Leora said...

Wow, to want to go on a raft trip like that. I'd send my sons - they would love it. Not my thing (nor my daughter's).

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Great pix Ann! I had to enlarge the one to notice the bridge, but there it is ! What a brave and lucky daughter you have! Lovely you had so much fun with her.

I am wondering if black water" is the same as what we in the Western US would call "white-water" -- lots of rapids and dangerous places?

Anonymous said...

And helmets too! Sounds challenging, for sure.

Francisca said...

I'd like to go white water rafting, although neither caves nor freezing water appeals to me... So I'll do it in the tropics somewhere. Interesting the story about the man who felt he had accomplished his last goal. I wouldn't be surprised if he did die soon after. We all need an ikigay (reason to live).

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Black rafting: it is black, you do it inside a cave. Now I think of it, it is just like the miners in Chile.

We didn't have a raft, but we have oversized tyres.

The water is less swift, but the darkness gives a eerie feeling. This is a real New Zealand Adventure. There are two exhilarating tours, Black Labyrinth and Black Abyss. It is black because it is black inside the caves, and some places, you see millions of glowworms like stars twinkling.

pink go green said...

great adventures. what a nice experience.

By the way, I followed you in google connect. Hope you do the same. Thanks!

The JR said...

The caves are neat. But the rafting, no thanks!

Anonymous said...

http://www.walktobeautiful.com/